Telling Time

Hi Friends, 
Today in second grade we learned all about telling time. 


My first tip is to put minutes around your classroom clock. I also suggest using clocks that have the minutes around it and that have an hour hand that moves whenever the minute hand moves.


I always start off by explaining the use of the hour hand and the minute hand. We play with the minute hands and count by fives all around the clock. This helps the students better understand how many minutes are in an hour and how the clock works (i.e. hour hand moving as the minutes pass).

Then we discuss quarter past, half past, quarter to, and o'clock. We begin to practice as a class. 




Then I let them practice on their own. they love using the iPads and the mini clocks! You can also display the slides on your interactive whiteboard while the students practice on the mini clocks. 

   


I also allow students to practice using my Telling Time Centers

    

And for those who need extra practice, I send home some printables from my Telling Time Printables pack. It's an easy way to allow students to review at home. 


Once they are comfortable telling time you can have them play a little game on PicCollage!
My friend Valerie over at All Students Can Shine had this awesome idea and I just had to try it too! It went super well and the kiddies had so much fun!


All they have to do is search for clocks and then write the time. They love to get creative and put their own backgrounds and fonts. It's such an engaging way to practice!



We also played a fun hands on game with giant dice! If you don't have any you can definitely find smaller ones online or use a box and glue the sheets to it. 


I simply put pictures of analogue clocks on one die and digital times on the other. I asked a student to roll one die and another to roll the other until they made a match. They had so much fun! You can also just give them some scrap paper or a white board and have them roll the die with the analogue clocks on it and write what time it is. It's a great way to check for understanding. 

I hope you find some of these ideas useful!
You can check out all my Telling Time Packs HERE!

Until next time...

Be sure to sign up for my email!
You'll get great tips, tricks, and freebies sent directly to your inbox!


No comments

Back to Top