The Sandcastle Contest

I'm back! Three days in a row! Woohoooooo!
Today the kiddies embarked on a beach adventure and took part in literacy centers. We finally got to experience my Let's Go to the Beach literacy pack! I love getting feedback about how much fun your kiddies are having with this unit and now I can also say that my munchkins are enjoying these activities too! If you haven't already checked it out stop by my TPT store and take a look at my
Let's Go to the Beach Unit. It's great for the end of the year, summer programs and even a cute welcome back at the beginning of the school year! 



Alongside the literacy activities included in the package, I added 2 extra centers. I chose some beach themed books for the students to listen to over at our listening center. If you don't have many books on tape or cd, you can always record yourself reading the story books. 
The kiddies get a real kick out of that!


I also added an art component. As I've mentioned in previous posts, we are working on a reader's theater production of The Sandcastle Contest by Robert Munsch, so we decided to make sandcastles as part of our "set design." As usual, I gave the kiddies some templates on card stock and let them trace the pieces on various "sand colored" construction paper. I think they turned out great! 
Can't wait to put them up! 




Grab yourself a free copy of the sandcastle template right over here!

Until next time...
Ms. Nicole xo


6 comments

  1. Those sandcastles came out great! Hope the Reader's Theater goes well. :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch! They are born performers and are doing so well, but let me tell you what a stress it is for me anytime we present something to parents! Oye!!

      Nicole

      Delete
  2. How are you doing it as a Readers theater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I created 6 "acting roles" (Matthew, mother, father, Kalita, judge 1 and judge 2) and 6 narrators (I am having 2 students read for each narrator). The narrators are "telling" the story and the actors have some lines and act out the story. It was very simple to create and the kiddies love it. I thought about posting it as a freebie, but was worried that perhaps I am not allowed, due to the fact that it is someone else's published work! It's a really cute story to have the kiddies perform at the end of the school year. Goes great with a beach and summer theme!

      Nicole

      Delete
  3. Absolutely LOVING all the ideas on your site. Really intrigued about how you are using Reader's Theater is the classroom. I'd LOVE to do more of that next year :)

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks do much!!! The kiddies presented the readers theater on Friday! They were great! I loved working in this with them! I find it really helped them with their fluency and intonation!!! I definitely plan on doing it again next year! Maybe even more than once! We had fun!!

      Nicole

      Delete

Back to Top