Winter Olympics (Part - 1)

Happy Monday Everyone,
I sure don't like Mondays all that much, but once the week begins, I get excited about all the fun things we will get to do! I am pumped about my Winter Olympics Sports Pack, and the kiddies are loving the activities so far. I'm looking forward to diving in deeper this week!

Here is my Winter Olympics Sports Pack. It is filled with information cards, worksheets, and fun activities. It even includes introductory activities and review activities. 




Here is how I have used it so far! So much fun!

I began by giving my students these fun cut and paste activity sheets as morning work. I wanted to see how much they knew about the Olympics and the different Winter Sports. They did quite well, but made a few mistakes! I purposefully placed luge and bobsleigh on the same page! 
Hehehe, sneaky teacher!


Then, the kiddies completed a Read/Write the Room Activity! It was really cute, because I could hear some of my students sighing and muttering to themselves when they found a card. They were a little disappointed when they realized they had made mistakes on the cut and paste activity sheets!



When we were done finding all the cards, the students called them out and I had them come up and write the words. They now serve as a mini word wall! I'm thinking, I may just HAVE to draw some anchor charts for them! Fun, Fun, Fun!

To introduce the information cards, I chose to complete the activities that were designated to the Olympics, as a class. We went to the Smartboard room and I projected the cards for them. We read them aloud and answered the questions together. I wanted them to get a sense of how it was all going to work in their centers and what I was looking for in their answers.


We circled and underlined important information and then 
they recorded their answers on their own sheets.

 


They did a great job and had loads of fun!

Now comes the B-E-S-T part! Centers! 


The students will complete research pages, look up new vocabulary, answer questions about various sports, write about being a gold medalist, interview athletes then and now, and much, much more!

One of the first stations will require students to revisit the Olympic Information Cards we read as a class. I have chosen specific subjects that the students will study and research. These themes and words are highlighted in blue.


The students will loooooooove using the ipads to research all about the Olympics. 
They will record their findings on the following sheet.


Students will also learn about different Winter Sports. I have included reading comprehension questions for each sport, as well as a fun facts sheet. I interspersed each information card with reading comprehension, fun facts sheets, and vocabulary sheets. This way the stations are diverse and do not become redundant. You may wish to organize these stations in various ways. I just thought this would keep things a little more interesting! The students will be expected to answer reading comprehension questions, fill out a fun facts sheet, or look up new words (which are highlighted in yellow) in the dictionary. I like variety!




The kiddies will also have fun writing about Winning Gold, interviewing athletes from the past and in the present, as well as completing a Winter Olympics Word Search. 




I can't wait to get these started! The pack also comes with a Crossword Puzzle, Word Scramblers and "Who am I?" activities. I plan on using these at the very end of the unit, when the students have learned all kinds of interesting facts about the Olympics!


I'll probably also throw in some Winter Sports Crafts! we did these last year and they turned out great!



You can check out this pack right over HERE!

I also have a Skiing/Snowboarding craft!



You can grab this pack right over HERE!
Or check out both in my Winter Activities Mega Bundle Pack!

Enjoy your week and until next time...

No comments

Back to Top