Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Good Morning Friends, 
I hope you are all having a lovely Saturday morning! I sure am!
I wanted to stop by and tell you all about the fun we had reading The Wizard of Oz! It's such a great story with some amazing lessons. The creativity and imagination is so captivating. 
The kiddies just L-O-V-E-D it!


I found the books hiding away in a cabinet in the school book room and decided it would be the perfect way to end our year. I created a Novel Studies Unit and Craftivities to go along. I decided to create 4 activity pages for each chapter. Two of which asked questions and two others that looked at a variety of concepts (meaning, connections, inferencing, making predictions, art, etc...). I also included some non-fiction information cards when interesting topics came up in the chapters. 
My students loved the All About Cyclones Information Card. 


We read the chapters together and each time a new character was introduced, we wrote a story and created a craft to celebrate the character! 
My personal fave has to be Dorothy and Toto (with the Tin Woodman coming in at a close second)!



I provided the templates, but as you can see my creative little kiddies added their own special touches.

My former students loved non-fiction so we had a great time learning about cyclones, the heart, the brain, hot air balloons, mice, lions, and more!



This was such a great unit. We had so much fun and learned a lot about appreciating a novel and about science! This year I will be working on a similar unit for Charlotte's Web! I can't wait!

You can check out my Wizard of Oz Novel Studies HERE!
You can also check out my Wizard of Oz Craftivities HERE!
OR
You can check out a bundled copy of my Wizard of Oz Novel Studies and Craftivities HERE!



Until next time...

No comments

Back to Top