It's TIME for another Post!

Dear Friends, 
Boy, does time fly and quite frankly there are just NOT enough hours in a day. I've been blog hopping and honestly, I have no idea how some of you do it!!! WOW, WOW, WOW! 
My hat goes off to all of you! 

Before I get into my little post, I just wanted to inform you that the cute little groundhog everyone was ranting and raving about was W-R-O-N-G, WRONG! That little rascal predicted an early Spring and us Montrealers received a nice little surprise this early morning. A Wonderful Snowstorm! Yippeee! Seriously, I usually do not complain! I do realize that I live in Canada and that Winter here is a major deal, but today I was just not happy! The drive in was quite horrendous and I am really quite tired with all this cold weather and snow/ice/slush/salt/mess that is our city these days! Anyone have a nice beach house they'd like to share?!?!

Ok, now it's TIME to seriously blog here! Speaking of TIME, this is all we have been talking about in math these days! The kiddies are just loving it and feel like BiG KiDs now that they can tell time (by 5 minute increments, of course)! 

Check out this AMAZING clock my colleague lent me! It's GREAT!


We have been having a blast with this! I use it for my main lesson (15-20 minutes) and then the kiddies do some work from my new packs (another 20-25 minutes)! I grabbed myself some great clock graphics back in February, during the sale, and decided to use them to make me some TIME packs!

I spend the group lesson going over the number of minutes in an hour, the number of seconds in a minute. We talk about what each hand represents and use velcro strips to separate the clock in fours to better visualize the quarters. 

Then, we talk about the "new" time concept that we are learning that day. I am a stickler for correct placement of the hour hand and so I use a meter stick to demonstrate where to place the short hand. For instance, in this picture, the clock shows 7:55, thus I used the meter stick to show the students that the hour hand must be VERY close to the 8 but still not be touching it. This is probably the one thing they struggle most with at first. 

I do some class activities during this lesson, that involve me placing the hands on the clock and the kiddies writing the digital time on whiteboards. Then, I write the digital time on the board and the kiddies demonstrate this time on mini clocks. It's all great fun and very engaging! 

Finally, I give them an activity to complete at their desks and use this for assessment and evaluation. We practice the same "TIMES" many TIMES as I do want them to understand this concept well. I also send home extra review sheets for homework. After all, this is a lifelong skill! 

I began by reviewing the hour and half past times. Then I taught them quarter past, followed by quarter to, while finally completing the activities with the rest of the five minute increments on the clock. Next challenge will be, time vocabulary, before and after, and digital time  (also included in the pack). It has been TIME consuming, however I do feel it important to take the TIME necessary to teach it well. 

Here is the pack that we have been working on for the past week and a half!



                                The package includes activities for all 5 minute increment times:

5 past, 5 to
10 past, 10 toquarter past, 
quarter to20 past, 20 to
25 past, 25 to
half past
hour

Activities include:

Write the correct time below the clock (analog)
Draw the hands on the clock to represent the correct time
Match the clocks with the correct time

This package also includes activities pertaining to:
Digital time (underline the correct way to tell the time, write a digital time for each daily activity, write the digital time)
Time vocabulary (i.e. half past, ten past, noon, midnight, etc...) (matching games & fill in the correct vocabulary)
Before and After (i.e. thirty minutes after one, fifteen minutes before two, etc...) (matching games & fill in the correct vocabulary)

All activities are in black and white and include more than one sheet in order to review, practice, and/or even assign for homework. All times are organized in a manner to facilitate teacher preparations. 


We finished up our Telling Time by 5 minute increments with some fun matching centers. 



It was a great way to review and was a nice change from all the worksheets we had been using!

We are even going to write a story about our favorite time of day! The kiddies will write the digital time in the story and then represent that time in analog format on the watch! 





Looking for the perfect way to teach your students how to tell time? Well, look no further because this 119 page package is sure to save you “TIME” and energy.

The package includes activities for all 5 minute increment times:
5 past, 5 to
10 past, 10 to
quarter past, quarter to
20 past, 20 to
25 past, 25 to
half past
hour

Activities include:

Matching Digital Time with Analog Time (color cards & black line recording sheets)
My Favorite Time of the Day Craftivity (templates for craft & black line writing stationary) Students are asked to write about their favorite time of the day, include the time in digital format in their text and then represent that time in analog format on the watch craft.

All times are organized in a manner to facilitate teacher preparations. Furthermore, you can choose to use these centers in any manner (i.e. one time increment at a time or mixed times).


Of course, if you like both! You can always check out the 


See you next TIME!

1 comment

  1. Your time unit is fabulous! Great practice using a variety of different approaches.

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top